Thursday 10 December 2015

Tipsy Art


Frustration at Stereotypes?, Chaz Howkins, 2015, photograph

Awful, Chaz Howkins, 2015, paint
Frustration, Chaz Howkins, 2015,  mixed media

Binaries, Chaz Howkins, 2015, photograph





















































I created these pieces the morning after a night out and think the results are very unsuccessful, but interesting and humorous nonetheless.  Inspired by Heather Cassils, I painted my knuckles pink and proceeded to punch a lump of clay onto a sheet of paper to express my frustration concerning gender stereotypes.  For the next piece, I filled one hand with blue paint and one with pink paint and proceeded to smear them on paper - the colours didn't overlap as easily as I intended so the piece seems to support the idea of gender as binary, which I do not agree with.

I took a photo of my hands afterwards as I found it interesting how barely any pink was on the blue hand, whereas the pink hand had become much darker and bluer - mirroring how it is seen as acceptable within society for women to express masculine traits, however men are viewed negatively for expressing feminine traits.