Monday 21 December 2015

Photographic Collages

Charlie Collage, Chaz Howkins, 2015, photographic collage

Charlie Collage 2, Chaz Howkins, 2015, photographic collage

Faces, Chaz Howkins, 2015, photographic collage

Faces 2, Chaz Howkins, 2015, photographic collage

Faces 3, Chaz Howkins, 2015, photographic collage
I realised that in a lot of my work so far, I have accidentally been reinforcing the idea of gender as binary, which I don't agree with - and my initial intention was to explore the idea of gender as a spectrum.  Many of my initial ideas related to the idea of 'Chaz vs Chad' (myself and my male alter ego) however I feel this is far too restrictive and binary so I will now be exploring myself as Charlie as this covers all genders rather than just two.

In the first two collages (Charlie Collage 1 & 2) I used various images of myself as a range genders.  My intention was to create confusing images which make the viewer question the gender of the subject, to which I would respond, does it matter?  I find it fascinating how frustrated people can get when they can't work out someone's gender.

In the next three collages I included images of myself and of other people (males) to make the images even more confusing.  However I prefer the Charlie collages as they involve a level of self exploration making them far more personal than the Faces collages.