Friday 9 June 2017

Workshop with Lex Randolph

Not So Cuterus, Chaz Howkins, 2017, pen on paper

Not A Penis, Chaz Howkins, 2017, tights, stuffing and thread.
I attended an artist's talk by Lex Randolph at their exhibition Human Becomings at Paper Mountain which was followed by a workshop with the artist.  We were encouraged to use a range of textiles to create artworks which relate to our own gender identities.  I created a drawing which relates to the idea of my body reminding me of my biological sex, which I can often overlook.  I also created an arm made out of stuffed tights and sewed the words "can always be bigger" into; this is due to my insecurities about my arms and how they are simultaneously my favourite and least favourite feature as I'm well aware that they are far from as toned as they could be.