Monday 9 May 2016

Does It Matter? A Conversation

Image by Kate Self
As well as the exhibition, which ran for two weeks, an event was put on called ‘Does it Matter? A Conversation’ which consisted of talks given by myself and artist Elly Clarke, followed by a discussion about gender identity and themes we’d spoken about.  During my talk, I spoke about my experience preparing for the exhibition, the concept of gender as performance and a social construct and how feminism comes into my work.  Clarke joined us via Google Hangout from her home in Berlin to talk about digital technology and the role of gender as performance within her work.  During the discussion we went into more depth about our experiences with drag and how it is perceived within our society and the influence that society has on impressionable children in relation to their understanding of their gender.