Sunday 25 January 2015

Frog Island Photography

Chair, Chaz Howkins, 2015, photograph

Figure, Chaz Howkins, 2015, photograph

Dyeing Factory, Chaz Howkins, 2015, photograph

Admirer, Chaz Howkins, 2015, photograph

Bottles, Chaz Howkins, 2015, photograph

Keep Out, Chaz Howkins, 2015, photograph
Earlier this week I went to Leicester to explore the abandoned buildings of Frog Island, an industrial area in which the buildings have been subject to several fires and fell into disrepair.  Most of the buildings were either boarded up or fenced off, making them inaccessible.  However we easily gained access to one of the factories via an open back door.  I explored the building with my camera, capturing the textures of the crumbling structure and objects that I felt told a story of the building's past.  I included a distant figure in a few of the images to give them a greater sense of life, which I feel makes the images appear more haunting.